Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Handbell Rehearsal

Today was the first rehearsal with some Children from the stake for our handbell performance at a special stake training. Because it is spring break (which I didn't realize when scheduling it because I don't have school-aged children) we were missing some of the Children, but we still had enough come that we just doubled up each person with 2 bells and were just fine.

If you are curious what this is all about and what music we have been working on you can find it HERE.

Today I just wanted to share how I teach handbell music. I will warn you I am not an expert and everyone really should customize how they teach to fit their circumstances and the needs of the children, but this is how I do it:

1. First teach them the song without any bells. This is important to do so they can pick up the bell part more easily.
     - There are many ways to do this, but one of my favorites is to play the "echo" game. I sing one line or phrase at a time and have them repeat it once or twice before we move on. I will then combine some of the phrases to make bigger phrases to repeat or just play "add on" where we add each phrase on to the song singing from the beginning each time.

2. (This step can be skipped, but I usually do it because the kids are anxious to play with the bells). Have the kids play the bell part to get familiar with their notes/bells without worrying about timing/tempo. I just point to each note and we don't move on until it has been played.

***Before letting them have/use the bells I always go over my rules of not playing their note unless it is their turn when I am pointing to it, to respect the bells, hold them/play them properly, etc. Depending on the group I may even say that if they do not respect the bells I will have to let someone else use their bell.***

3. Next have the children clap the rhythm of the notes so they know what to expect.

4. Now try playing the bells at a slow tempo with the rhythm gradually increasing the speed each time. If you have a pianist have them play the same notes along with the Children and/or you yourself can sing the notes.

5. Once they seem ready (doesn't have to be perfect), add having the children sing and/or the accompaniment if you have those elements.

6. Practice, practice, PRACTICE! And once the performance comes don't worry too much if they aren't perfect; it will sound great as long as you can recognize the song and the kids and everyone involved have a good time enjoying making/listening to music :)

*The bells in and of themselves are fun for the kids so you don't usually have to worry about anything else. But if they do seem to be getting restless maybe take a break and sing a fun action song without the bells. It's really good for them to learn to work hard and focus a bit through this process, at least in my opinion, but this doesn't mean you can't throw fun things in like taking out certain notes or words to challenge them (and get them to pay attention in the process).
**If you are musically inclined and want to give them a fun game with the bells, you could always line them up like they keys of your "instrument" and point to them when they should play their note. If you did this without sheet music it can be fun as they anticipate your pointing at them. You could also not tell them the song you are about to "play" and have them guess it as they recognize it.

1 comment:

  1. I like your teaching techniques. Its definitely a challenge find a good teaching method and ways which keep children engaged, I think you have it pretty much nailed it though.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear feedback or get some ideas/tips/helps from my readers! Thanks for sharing :)

*I'll approve and post your comment as soon as I have a chance to make sure it is appropriate for my readers to see