Saturday, April 20, 2013

"The Sacred Grove"

Our Primary learned this song, The Sacred Grove (CS 87), a couple of months ago, so we will be reviewing it this week as we prepare to learn our Restoration Medley containing part of it next week.

The way I taught this song originally was by following the ideas in the book, A Children's Songbook Companion by Graham, Gourley, Shipp, and Stewart.

Summary of teaching: I had them close their eyes while the music was played and I described the morning when Joseph entered the Sacred Grove (complementing the words in the song). Then I sang it for them. The song was then repeated as I asked questions and made statements about the words in the song until they were very familiar with it. *I really like the part where "Joseph Knelt" and the notes descend (as I had pointed out to the children).
I also used pictures to enrich the song: trees, the sun, Joseph kneeling, a picture of the first vision, etc.

REVIEW: To review this song I will just use the same pictures and maybe point out some of the answers to the questions I had originally asked. I shouldn't have to do too much to introduce this song because it is tied into the sharing time lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear feedback or get some ideas/tips/helps from my readers! Thanks for sharing :)

*I'll approve and post your comment as soon as I have a chance to make sure it is appropriate for my readers to see